Thursday, July 8, 2010

Concept Mapping

Concept Mapping provides a visual platform for the creator's thinking process, whether it be derived from another source/text, creative brainstorming, or elsewhere. Maps are used as an organizational tool, offering the viewer visual/spatial information, rather than auditory or text alone. For many learners (in the classroom, or in a boardroom, etc.), these maps present the "big picture" by illustrating sub-topics and information in one space. They may enhance presentations, assist the creator in developing outlines for presentations/papers, or serve as a way to organize thoughts during group discussions. Here, the concept map is used to present Dexter's eTIPS, summarizing the article's main points.

If I had access to a program such as Inspiration while in grade school or high school (and especially undergraduate school), I believe I would have enjoyed the outline process much more. I am a visual and kinesthetic learner, and the process of creating maps such as these is engaging, stimulating, and fosters better comprehension of the meaning behind the word grouping/phrases. I wish I could access this at work, offering it as a problem solving tool to my students!

No comments:

Post a Comment